There is freedom in exposure and power in written word.
I have found that documenting the seemingly mundane occurrences of ordinary days mystically unlocks the riches buried within them. Our lives are masterpieces, mosaics; Divinely composed of single moments- some dark and ominous, others bright and sparkling with promise- each working together to bring about a unique and extraordinary design. We are fashioned with purpose as unique expressions of God to our world. This is my attempt to illuminate and celebrate the various shades of the mosaic of my life.

Monday, May 3, 2010

Infinite Favor

The most reoccurring and overwhelming revelation I’ve received through the gateway of motherhood thus far has centered upon the exposure of God’s heart toward us.

I have been awed by the invitation divinely extended to women to participate in the creation of humanity. Fashioning us in his image, God imparted the ability to create life and not just life but life that emerges in OUR image. The weightiness of this reality fell upon my heart early in pregnancy and the depth of it began to unfold the moment Jonah surfaced from my womb.

Jonah is love made tangible, the breath of our covenant, flesh of my flesh, bone of my bone, and I endlessly delight in him! His beauty enamors me. I’ve memorized every wrinkle on his body, the delicate curves of his ears, the ocean blue hue of his eyes, the length of his lashes, his curly grin and right dimple, the golden shimmer of his hair, the soft and supple texture of his skin . . . the composition of his cry, the melody of his laughter, the various tones of his voice. . . his posture and every expression. I am enchanted by him in every way. He is my most prized achievement. There is no tantrum or demand or disappointment that could alter the infinite favor I have toward him. He is mine and I am his.

And this is just a faint whisper of the extraordinary depth at which God delights in us. Carnality taints our devotion, but his is pure and eternal, never wavering- ever faithful. He desires us, revels in our beauty and celebrates the reflection of himself he sees in our eyes. He rejoices over us with gladness and singing (Zephaniah 3:17) and yearns to lavish his everlasting love upon us (1 John 3:1 & Jeremiah 31:3). He calls us his most treasured possession (Exodus 19:5). He longs to comfort us (2 Corinthians 1:3-4) and wipe away our tears and suffering (Revelation 21: 3-4). He is for us and not against us (Romans 8:31). Nothing in all creation could ever separate us from his extraordinary love and favor (Romans 8: 38-39).

This knowledge is not new to me. I have heard it my entire life- sermon after sermon and book after book has declared God’s unending devotion to me and yet I could not digest it until I experienced the intensity of love I have for my son. The essence of Jonah unlocked the beauty and power of the declaration of God over me. His favor and delight now thunders within. I believe- I truly believe- that he is head-over-heels for me and nothing (not even my darkest moment or most sordid sin) could alter his infinite love and favor toward me!

1 comment:

  1. i have found these thoughts swirling through my own heart since Adeline came into the picture. I crave her, I want to just spend time in her presence and soak up all the personality and beauty that she possesses. And when I stare at her, all I see is God's grace and love in her face. She is a divine gift from Him and He is using her to draw me closer to Him. I know that He craves His children like we crave ours. We delight in such simple moments with them, and He wants those simple moments with us. These truths have never be more real to me.

    ReplyDelete